Choices

When people ask me to define love, I say, "Love is like handing someone a gun, having them point it at your heart, and trusting them to never pull the trigger." (Sponge Bob)

When they ask me why I laugh at my mistakes and even write them with pride in my blogs, I say, "I'm not crazy. I just don't give a damn!" (Daffy Duck)

When one time I was conducting a group activity, a student asked what road sign I love the most, I said, "I like dead end signs. I think they're kind. They at least have the decency to let you know you're going nowhere…" (Bugs Bunny)

And when for the nth time a friend would ask me what do I get from writing, I'm not even sure if there are good old souls out there visiting my site, I just smile and say, "Kung gusto mong maging manunulat, eh di magsulat ka. Simple." (Bob Ong)

And last night when Eva said she wants to quit from her work because nobody believes in her, her boss got mad at her, she doesn't even have friends at her agency, and she's crying like hell, I said, "Either you stay to prove your worth or you quit and just show them you're a loser, you have to strive for your happiness." (MY original)

My CHOICES: I remained believing in love. I continued spicing up my mistakes and rewriting my life, accepting failure but keep on dreaming until words would fade into thin air.

Feb 27, 2008

SISTERS!

This is for all the GIRLS!
A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced tea and visiting with her Mother. Asthey talked about life, about marriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter. “Don't forget your Sisters,” she advised, swirling the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. “They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you love your husband, no matter how much you love the children you may have, you are still going to need Sisters. Remember to go places with them now and then; do things with them.””Remember that 'Sisters' means ALL the women... your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other women relatives too. You'll need other women. Women always do.”

“What a funny piece of advice!” the young woman thought. Haven't I just gotten married? “Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a married woman, for goodness sake! A grown-up! Surely my husband and the family we may start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile!”

But she listened to her Mother. She kept contact with her Sisters and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her Mom really knew what she was talking about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, Sisters are the mainstays of her life.
After more than 50 years of living in this world, these say it all:

Time passes.
Life happens.
Distance separates.
Children grow up.
Jobs come and go.
Love waxes and wanes.
Men don't do what they're supposed to do.
Hearts break.
Parents die.
Colleagues forget favors.
Careers end.

BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how many miles are between you. A girl friend is never farther away than needing her can reach. When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end. Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you...Or come in and carry you out. Girl-friends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, mothers, grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended family, all bless our life!The world wouldn't be the same without women, and neither would I. When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other.


Thank you so much to the following SISTERS in my life:

Mama, not here present with me but I know is somewhere among the heavens watching over me.

Lolas, for making me look forward to graciously age with time.

Auntie Cely and Auntie Lita, for being just an email away.

Auntie Grace, for being just a thought away.

Auntie Dina and Auntie Lib, for being just a text away.

Auntie Tarcela, for being just a prayer away.

Nanay, for the patience.

Ate Arjo and Ate Leah, my sisters-in-law, for being available all the time.

Ate Imelda, for the listening ear.

Armila, for just looking at me when I cry. (And cry later… when I’m not looking.)

Gracia and Judelyn, my high school buddies, for just being there.

Macel, for uplifting my spirit.

Tata and Issa, my college sentimental pals, for always making your presence be felt.

Ate Arnila and Ate Flor, for the laughs.

Ate Chai and Ate Rosabel, for challenging me to be great educators like you.

Ma’am Naoe, for the inspiration. (I swear, I will put up my school for kids with special needs.)

Bea and Gaby, my beautiful and wonderful daughters, for making my day.


**Just a NOTE: For more than a couple of weeks not blogging, here’s what I learned: “I easily cry.”

4 comments:

PlanetMars said...

Something is wrong with this post. We are not sisters, we are "brothers and sisters" remember? Guess, i haven't figured out till now which role I play talaga. A little of both?hehe. You made me cry again. Super touch naman ako at extra pa ako sa post mo.Take care!

prettymay said...

What an inspiring article to read... Jo, is this your original? and the one I posted in facebook via a friends post was actually taken from this blog? just wondering...

prettymay said...

What an inspiring article to read... Jo, is this your original? and the one I posted in facebook via a friend's post was actually taken from this blog? just wondering...

Marjo said...

prettymay -- This is not my original. I only coppied it from an email I received too from a girl-friend.