Choices

When people ask me to define love, I say, "Love is like handing someone a gun, having them point it at your heart, and trusting them to never pull the trigger." (Sponge Bob)

When they ask me why I laugh at my mistakes and even write them with pride in my blogs, I say, "I'm not crazy. I just don't give a damn!" (Daffy Duck)

When one time I was conducting a group activity, a student asked what road sign I love the most, I said, "I like dead end signs. I think they're kind. They at least have the decency to let you know you're going nowhere…" (Bugs Bunny)

And when for the nth time a friend would ask me what do I get from writing, I'm not even sure if there are good old souls out there visiting my site, I just smile and say, "Kung gusto mong maging manunulat, eh di magsulat ka. Simple." (Bob Ong)

And last night when Eva said she wants to quit from her work because nobody believes in her, her boss got mad at her, she doesn't even have friends at her agency, and she's crying like hell, I said, "Either you stay to prove your worth or you quit and just show them you're a loser, you have to strive for your happiness." (MY original)

My CHOICES: I remained believing in love. I continued spicing up my mistakes and rewriting my life, accepting failure but keep on dreaming until words would fade into thin air.

Oct 15, 2007

CABAnata 1: How It Started?

I'm starting a new chapter in my life, that is ang Bagong CABAnata sa aking buhay. It doesn't mean though that I am ending my recollection of the stuff I was mold of... my Tomb Reader, my original CABAnata. The more that I am not escaping from a painful past by ending my story in the memory of my Mother. I'm brave. People who know me too well could attest to that. And this is no reason for me to give up. Actually, I have a long way to go in my recollection. Andami ko pa kayang mga CABAnata Paningit at CABAnata Rewind!

But why am I beginning this engagement?

Well, to start with... let me make a recollection.

It was May, 2005 when my cousin Cathy spent her vacation here in the Philippines after almost two years I think of being in the US with her family (husband and kid -- Kuya Dennis and Karen). She said Aunt Grace mentioned to her that my course is in demand in the US (Psychology). So I prepared all my credentials before Ate Cathy and her family would return to the US by June.

At that moment, too, another Aunt in the US, Aunt Tarcela had a major heart attack and was in coma. She is my mother's eldest sister who generously financed my mother's chemotherapy expenses. The more that I was in deep need of acquiring some wealth so I may be able to help her out, too in her expenses or her family's.

To cut the story short, another Aunt (father side), Aunt Genie with her husband Uncle Mel was already in the US as teachers in the Sciences. They had my credentials checked and saw I can be a SpEd teacher or a Speech Pathologist because of my experience with children with special needs and in implementing Homeroom Speech Program for a child with Autism. But... with a capital B-U-T... I lack the units to be a licensed teacher or speech pathologist in the US.
And so, I was asked to choose from the two, which course I have to complete. I considered Speech Pathology because I found it sosy sa pandinig. Hahahahaha!!! But unfortunately, only UP Manila is offering the course entire the Philippines and I have to make a fast decision whether to resign in my present job to go to Manila to study or just take up Special Education at the PLM during Sundays. The options were both tiring to start with. So I opted a Master's Degree in Special Education at the DMMMSU-SLUC and acquired a Certification in Teaching at the same state university in their Open University Program and at the same time enrolling myself in yet another Certification in Caring for the Special Child at the UP-Open University System (IVLE). So there! I gave up speech pathology for an MA and two Post Baccalaureatte Degrees. Ain't that cool!??

And so within two years, I earned two Certifications, finished in the process my MA in Guidance and Counseling and about to finish my MA in Special Education. I only have nine units to go which I intend to finish next semester including my Comprehensive Exam and Thesis Title Defense.

In addition, I have gained confidence in filing for an application to the US as a special education teacher. Almost a month ago, my Aunt Genie e-mailed me telling me to make an application letter and resume addressed to their agency. I said, "Cool!"

I made one and forwarded it to her. After three days, she responded, telling me that I have to work on my resume and limit it to two-three pages and as for the application letter, she said she can make that for me. And mind you, she sent her own application letter and resume of which really totally with all honesty shocked me. And almost bombarded the little confidence that I so carefully taken good cared of for all these years. Basta, I am so proud of all her achievements. Auntie ko nga siya. Diddums!

After forwarding to her my resume, I waited for her to forward me the application letter she made so I can send it through LBC to their agency. Shockingly, she forwarded everything on her own and the next thing I know, I'm attending a seminar for potential teachers bound for US and was asked to acquire a passport.

Bagong CABAnata? Well, I have just acquired my passport and let's wait and see what will happen next...

No comments: