Choices

When people ask me to define love, I say, "Love is like handing someone a gun, having them point it at your heart, and trusting them to never pull the trigger." (Sponge Bob)

When they ask me why I laugh at my mistakes and even write them with pride in my blogs, I say, "I'm not crazy. I just don't give a damn!" (Daffy Duck)

When one time I was conducting a group activity, a student asked what road sign I love the most, I said, "I like dead end signs. I think they're kind. They at least have the decency to let you know you're going nowhere…" (Bugs Bunny)

And when for the nth time a friend would ask me what do I get from writing, I'm not even sure if there are good old souls out there visiting my site, I just smile and say, "Kung gusto mong maging manunulat, eh di magsulat ka. Simple." (Bob Ong)

And last night when Eva said she wants to quit from her work because nobody believes in her, her boss got mad at her, she doesn't even have friends at her agency, and she's crying like hell, I said, "Either you stay to prove your worth or you quit and just show them you're a loser, you have to strive for your happiness." (MY original)

My CHOICES: I remained believing in love. I continued spicing up my mistakes and rewriting my life, accepting failure but keep on dreaming until words would fade into thin air.

Oct 13, 2007

I am a Certified Bookworm

1. By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
2. The Alchemist
3. Eleven Minutes
4. The Zahir
5. The Fifth Mountain
6. The Pilgrimage
7. The Devil and Miss Prym
8. Veronika Decides to Die
9. The Valkyries
10. Warrior of the Light
11. Like the Flowing River
12. The Witch of Portobello


These are all book titles. Do they sound so familiar? If not, you are not a certified Paulo Coelho fan.

I am.

The first six books are the ones I have already read. And they are in chronological order as I have read them. The last seven among my list are yet to be read. Not because I don't have a copy. As a matter of fact, they are all sealed in plastic and neatly kept in my bookshelf to shun away the dust that might tarnish their white pretty pages. I haven't read them yet because I still don't have the luxury of time to read them.

The copies?

Of course, I didn't buy them all. I don't have that much money to finance my passion, reading that is (and collecting books). Actually, I didn't buy a single copy. They are gifts. In fact, they are mandatory gifts from my brother Yamoj (Thanks Pogi!). I obliged him to buy me a complete set. Sweet, eh!

Besides Coelho, there's also Sidney Sheldon which I started collecting when I was still in college. They are also obligatory gifts from generous friends who gave the books during my Birthday, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Bonifacio as well as Rizal Day. The covers of which are really vintage looking, including their yellowish pages. I promise to keep them until… until they can stand by me. Of course, the most recent of his books are again from my dearest brother.

1. Tell Me Your Dreams
2. Morning, Noon and Night
3. Naked Face
4. Stars Shine Down
5. The Sands of Time
6. Doomsday Conspiracy
7. Nothing Lasts Forever
8. Memories of Midnight
9. The Best Laid Plans
10. A Stranger in The Mirror
11. Windmills of the Gods
12. Master of The Game
13. Bloodline
14. The Sky is Falling
15. The Other Side of Midnight
16. Rage of Angels
17. If Tomorrow Comes

There's also an almost completed set by David Sedaris' satirical blah-blah. I just adore the guy. He, Jessica Zafra and Bob Ong are my inspiration in starting my Tomb Reader stuff, a recollection of significant events in my life, both painful and not so painful, but were spiced up with some funny bits and bobs to make it sound lighter. A "Just for laugh thing".

1. Naked
2. Dress Your Family in Curdoroy and Denims
3. Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules

Well, as for Bob Ong (Filipino author), I don't have the last copy of his book yet. Guess I have to buy the copy this time because Yamoj was able to read it already through his friend's copy.

1. ABNKKBSNPLAko?!
2. Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang mga Pilipino
3. Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas
4. Alamat ng Gubat
5. Stainless Longganisa

Jessica Zafra. She's the "simply put it" writer who says it all. Some of her lines (according to Sedaris is not a mortal crime so it's just okay as long as I don't really own it) I use in my prose. I don't have a single copy of her books, but I was able to read them all (and copied some of her ogrely lines). Courtesy of my school's library.

1. Manananggal Terrorizes Manila
2. Womenagerie
3. Twisted 1-7
4. Fruitcake
5. Chicken Pox for the Soul
6. Twisted Flicks

J.K Rowling's HP series… I keep them all in my shelf. The last of them, still with Yamoj. He hasn't finished reading it just yet.

Lord of the Rings series… I only have Part I.

As for Dan Brown, I have four of his books. Does he have other books other than what I have? Please let me know.

1. Angels and Demons
2. The Da Vinci Code
3. Digital Fortress
4. Deception Point

Lately, I also discovered Mitch Albom and was able to read the following, all courtesy of my school's library. But when I'll have the money, I want to buy my own copy. Just like Zafra's, too.

1. Tuesdays with Morrie
2. The Five People You Meet in Heaven
3. For One More Day (which I only started reading yesterday)

My brother also started reading Joshua Harris' books. Though the books are with me, I still haven't really had the time to skim read their contents.

1. I Kissed Dating Goodbye
2. Boy Meets Girl

So I still can't say I adore the guy. But when I'd do have the time, after reading all of Coelho's, may be I can post a comment or two. That's if I will have the time. Does it seem obvious, he's not my priority?

I also have a copy of the listed books below.

1. I'm with Stupid by Gene Weingarten and Gina Barreca
2. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
3. To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
4. Love Story by Erich Segal
5. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
6. His 'N Hers by Mike Gayle
7. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (my all time favorite)
8. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
9. What else? If I forgot something, I'll let you know… if it matters.

My wish list… I mean additional wish list (because I already posted sometime ago) I shall post tomorrow or Friday, depending upon my mood to write an entry. Jah!

My reviews will follow, too… Again, if it matters at all.

I hope they do.


(This entry was also published by Paulo Coelho in his blogsite http://paulocoelhoblog.com/)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I'm also a big Paulo Coelho fan and I don't know if you’ve heard about his blog
http://www.paulocoelhoblog.com
I started as a fan and now I'm collaborating with him and thought that you would like to enter his universe.
Check out the blog, if you want, or subscribe to his newsletter
http://www.warriorofthelight.com/engl/index.html

You'll see a community of warriors of light sharing ideas, dreams and most importantly following their personal legend.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"God judges a tree by its fruits and not by its roots."

See you there and have a great day!
Aart

Paula said...

Dear Marjo,

Paulo Coelho got wind of your blog through aart hilal and wants to post this article on his blog.
Paulo Coelho's blog
In case you have any restrictions, do not hesitate to write me on my email : paulabraconnot@gmail.com
Have a wonderful day!
And here's a quote to ponder:
“God, in his infinite wisdom,
hid Hell in he middle of Paradise,
to keep us on our toes.”
(By the River Piedra I sat down and wept)Paulo Coelho
Best
Paula