Choices

When people ask me to define love, I say, "Love is like handing someone a gun, having them point it at your heart, and trusting them to never pull the trigger." (Sponge Bob)

When they ask me why I laugh at my mistakes and even write them with pride in my blogs, I say, "I'm not crazy. I just don't give a damn!" (Daffy Duck)

When one time I was conducting a group activity, a student asked what road sign I love the most, I said, "I like dead end signs. I think they're kind. They at least have the decency to let you know you're going nowhere…" (Bugs Bunny)

And when for the nth time a friend would ask me what do I get from writing, I'm not even sure if there are good old souls out there visiting my site, I just smile and say, "Kung gusto mong maging manunulat, eh di magsulat ka. Simple." (Bob Ong)

And last night when Eva said she wants to quit from her work because nobody believes in her, her boss got mad at her, she doesn't even have friends at her agency, and she's crying like hell, I said, "Either you stay to prove your worth or you quit and just show them you're a loser, you have to strive for your happiness." (MY original)

My CHOICES: I remained believing in love. I continued spicing up my mistakes and rewriting my life, accepting failure but keep on dreaming until words would fade into thin air.

Oct 15, 2007

CABAnata 3: American Dream, Anyone?

The President said that the peso is gaining its stability and appreciating in value. The advertisement I saw last night was as ironic as it was presented. A woman (mother) was talking about how her burden of raising a family has grown lighter because of the low price medicines the government has to offer. While I have just been to the grocery store and fortunately found out how unfortunate my one thousand peso bill has become. Milk increased in price from fifteen to thirty pesos (or more). Isn't it that this is the most important item mothers like me should buy especially so when raising your kids, especially those with babies?
Just a thought to ponder on anyway...

But why did I start my CABAnata in such a pessimistic manner. Well of course to exaggerate my point and well of course, to rationalize my decision of going to the US.

Let me again quote the following details (as fact) from Wikipedia:

Population in Diaspora

There are more than 11 million overseas Filipinos worldwide, about 11% of the total population of the
Philippines.[1]

Each year, the Philippines sends out more than a million of its nationals to work abroad through its overseas employment program. Others leave to become permanent residents of their country of destination. Overseas Filipinos are typically known to be as doctors, accountants, IT professionals, engineers,
[8] entertainers, teachers, nurses, military servicemen, students, bar girls, domestic helpers,[9] housekeepers,[9] and caregivers.

Did I drive my point clear?

If it still seems vague to you, well, here is what I want to say:

"Get your butt the hell out of the Philippines if you want to finance your dreams and make them come true."

Did I sound so unFilipino? Well, not. I was just stating a painful fact. Painful because I am hurting for the millions of Filipino migrant workers who sacrificed leaving their families just to give their love ones the best opportunities they could offer (which is unlikely achieved in their own hometown). And the more pain I feel as I browsed down :

According to estimates by the
Central Bank of the Philippines, overseas Filipinos are expected to send back $14.7 billion in remittances to their ancestral homeland in 2007, up from $14 billion in 2006.[10]

Again I ask: Where does this sum amount of money go?

Decision: I have decided to take the risk and plunge into the unexpected than breaking my bones working here more than ten hours a day with a take home net pay of nine thousand pesos which would only last one week before the next pay day.

Fact: I'm not leaving for good though. I just want to earn ample wealth (so to speak) to build a better house (without the termites) for my kids, send them to the best schools until they finish college and they can finance their own further studies if they wish to. And of course for my studies again because I really wanted to take up Clinical Psychology and put up my own clinic or further my knowledge in Special Education so when I come back here in the Philippines for good, I can put up my own SpEd school and regular school that mainstream children with special needs without fear that their fees are wasted because individualized services due them are not given or provided for.

Another Fact: My American Dream is just a stepping stone, not an end in itself. In short, I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity. Bluntly I say, "Ginagamit ko lang ang Amerika para matupad ang pangarap ko para sa Pilipinas."

Last Fact: I only sound like I hate the Philippines.

No comments: